…In any job that they are working? I was talking to Justin about this the other night and it got me thinking. Is there really a “perfect job” for anyone/everyone out there? Will you ever find a job that you like even after the “honeymoon” stage is over? Will there ever be a job that you enjoy waking up for every. single. day?
I was talking about how when I first got hired at a majority (if not all) of the jobs I have worked at, I loved my position. I thought, “Life can’t get any better.” Then, as time went on I realized it was the “honeymoon” stage of our relationship. It was forever downhill from that moment. I can’t imagine a job that I feel the above for. Any job. Not the job that I am working in currently or ones of the past. Maybe that’s because I’ve not found “my calling” or maybe it’s because I’m just not happy working anywhere. I don’t know, but I don’t think I am alone in feeling this. Justin kind of doesn’t feel the same way. He believes if he could be creative and have next to no limits he’d enjoy working. I think he’s fibbing, but who knows HA!
If I had it my way, I wouldn’t work. Okay, I take that back- I don’t think I would work, but I may be wrong. I’m almost positive I wouldn’t work full time though. I’d do something with my time because I would go nutty just sitting around, but I wouldn’t work any of the jobs that I’ve experienced thus far. I think it’s funny- when you ask a majority of people what they would do if they won the lottery one of the (usually top) things on the list is “quit my job.” This makes me truly believe I am not alone. Those same people (or anyone for that matter) do not list “get rid of my boyfriend/husband/girlfriend/wife” in the list. If you truly loved your job, would it be included in the list? That’s doubtful.
Don’t get me wrong, there are days that I really, thoroughly enjoy my job. My co-workers are great! Really, they are one of the only reasons I find the strength to make it to work on a daily basis! At times, my job is also very fulfilling. I love the flexibility of where I work and my boss is awesome. Even the “big boss” is better than most. However, more days are spent wishing I was doing something (or anything!) else.
Of course, in my mind I do have an “ideal” job. That would be either event planning (of any sort) or being in sports marketing. I love the creative side of either option. I believe that is what I am missing in my career. Living in Toledo, Ohio the chances of the above happening are slim. In fact, in this entire economy, the chances of getting into any job are tough. To get into any kind of event planning, I would almost either have to have an “in” or start my own business. I don’t really want the stress of having my own business---so that’s out of the question. Maybe if Justin had his own business---since he really wants to do something along those lines---I could get in with him, but that’s as much of my own business as I want.
Maybe that’s why I’ve been so frustrated lately. I’m working a great job, but it’s not fulfilling me like my “ideal” job would or could. I almost feel like I went to college for 4 years and got a degree that was too broad. At the time, I thought this was a good thing. Looking back, I should have noticed the warning signs. Such is life, I suppose. I really should just suck it up, have the student loans and go back to school for my Masters to narrow the field down a bit. That would make the most sense, however I don’t want the loan payments after I am finished. It’s just such a big deal…and I’m indecisive which leads to me stick with mediocrity.
Thoughts on this…? Please tell me I am not alone.
No comments:
Post a Comment