Monday, September 13, 2010

I'm getting brave...

Anyone who knows me knows that I do not like to cook. I’ve been trying to cook more often- maybe twice a month (HEYYY!! It’s better than none at all). I actually think I cooked something new two weeks in a row awhile back. And, for the record- they all have been good :o)


One of the very first times I cooked (since living with Justin) it turned out TERRIBLE. I swear up and down that it was NOT my fault, but the recipes. Justin was traumatized and went into work the following day to explain how awful the meal was. Since then, I’ve been a little nervous to try anything again haha! However, I did and Justin has realized it really was the recipe the first time and not me.

I got the Healthy Girl cookbooks (I have 3) and have made a few things out of them with some variations. They have all turned out very good. One of my personal favorites is THIS! Justin was convinced it was NOT Mac and Cheese, since it’s not strictly noodles and cheese. I thought it was great and I would totally make it again. Justin did like it when he had it the next day and said that he, too, would eat it again.

Outside of the HG books, I’ve been browsing Allrecipes.com and have found 2 pretty good recipes there. It’s kind of hard to cook because Justin really only likes to eat low calorie things, so I really have to make sure it’s good enough for him also. I tried a stuffed peppers and a Tilapia recipe both from the website that were excellent. That is, if you enjoy spicy. I changed both a little, but nothing too major. With the peppers, I did not cook them entirely in the microwave, but I did for the stuffing portion. I also added ground turkey. I used diced tomatoes with green chilis as well instead of the tomatoes. With the Tilapia, I used the diced tomatoes and green chilis again, used basil like people had recommended, and also added in some red pepper flakes. I believe those were the only minor adjustments I made, but I could be wrong. Either way, both turned out pretty well.

Quick and Easy Stuffed Peppers

Garlic and Tomato Tilapia

Now, don’t start thinking I’m going to be Betty Crocker. I really hate cooking so much because it’s such a project for me. I have to read the directions a billion times because I’m nervous I’m going to screw something up. On top of that, I have to lay out all the “equipment” that will be needed. I also clean as I go because I get overwhelmed of the mess- mostly because I am so OCD about it. So, yeah. Regardless, I have a few more new recipes lined up that I hope to try this week and I hope I continue to come back with good results. I’ll keep ya posted!

This week is start week at work, so I’m super stressed out. I’m not going to make my personal goal…again…but hopefully the campus makes the big goal. On top of all this stress, since I am not making my quarterly goal, I will be written up. I HATE it. I may still make my yearly goal, but it’s very doubtful…I’ll just have to wait to find out. I’m hoping something comes up sooner rather than later. Fingers crossed.

That’s my update. I promise to do a better job at this.

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment