Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Changes and Love.

I hated my job, as you knew, so I had been die hard looking for a replacement. I was about to get written up a second time (out of my control, really...), with one more write up coming in March. The goals set forth were unatainable, and the BS was just to much. I morally felt like I couldn't work there any longer for LOTS of reasons, so I knew I had to find something fast- otherwise I would be without a job. I didn't want to explain getting fired to anyone or any employer, so it was basically whatever came my way first. I didn't care if I would have to take a pay cut or even if I had to make 'peanuts and bubble gum' as Dana always says hahaha!! Several people I used to work with at ITT went to work for this college called Ivy Bridge College of Tiffin University. Right at this point, it is it's own entity, but it is a division of Tiffin University. It's an Associate Degree school completely online. They have a sister school---Altius or something like that, out of California and eventually want to break totally away from the Tiffin name and be a for profit school---possibly. Im hoping that doesn't happen for several years--as there is SO MUCH shit going on in the federal government right now with for profit colleges. I'm just hoping I have some time there to get experience HA!  However, there was a really GREAT article in the Higer Education magazine about the school and it being partially for profit and partially private.  They were saying it was a great model to follow, which was awesome to read with all the bad press about for profit schools in the media right now.  But at this point, we have the same accrediation as Tiffin and most of the other universities and colleges in the area, which is awesome--as the classes they take at Ivy Bridge will transfer to a lot of places. Also, the diploma they receive says Tiffin University and nothing about it being an online education---which is another key point!

From the past ITT employees and a friend who currently works there, I had heard nothing but good things. I had 2 of the people I know put in some words for me (one of them just got promoted and she now actually works for Tiffin---so extra good points for me HA!), and I applied for a position there. I interviewed for an Enrollment Coordinator position and got it---thankfully. Truthfully, it all happened really quickly. I applied like mid December, interviewed twice right before Christmas and they offered me the job on the Wednesday evening before Christmas. I was on vacation at ITT LOL, so I went in on Thursday and turned in my week and a half notice and wanted to say FUCK YOU, I'm out. But, didn't LOL! My new job is along the same lines of what I was doing at ITT, but totally different. The only similarity really is that it's for a college LOL! I will no longer be working with the students, but rather working with the high schools and GED centers in order to get official transcripts of either HS graduation or a GED certificate. I will also be looking over previous college transcripts if they have them to see if anything will transfer into our school. Like any new job, I am SUPER overwhelmed right now, as it was the 2nd day of training today, but eventually I think I will really enjoy it. The school is really big- the office in Toledo has just over 100 people and is growing quickly. They plan to continue to add additional staff and right now the promotion rate is between the 3-6 months rate-so hopefully I can move up to a different, higher paying position eventually!

One of the AWESOME things right now is that I will have a true health insurance plan (finally, mine at ITT was a JOKE), 2 weeks paid vacation, 2 weeks paid sick time, 1 personal day, 15 paid hoidays (they shut down the school totally as a 'holiday' from Dec. 24-Jan 3--SCORE), 401K, 5 paid days for a funeral of a family member and 1 day for a close friend (paid), AND after working there a year they have 6 weeks paid maternity (I will never use this LOL!) and you can apply to get tution reinbursement for my MASTERS through Tiffin! I want to stick around like 3 years, so I can do that. They pay 100% of that, which is freaking awesome. AND, after being there 2-3 years you get 3 weeks vacation and being there 5+ you get 4 or 5 weeks I can't remember. Who knows... So, that's the J-O-B news. It's nothing I really want to stay at, I don't think, but I also don't know.  It seems as though it's going to be a great change and I'll always be busy, which was exactly what I was looking for.  And, it is something better than ITT.

Let's see...I'm not sure what you've been updated on with the wedding news, but here is THAT info:

1. The resort got back in touch with me. They emailed me the catering menu- so Justin and I just have to pick which package we prefer (who really cares when most people will have an all inclusive plan anyways? If they really have a problem with what we pick they can eat dinner elsewhere using their own plan LOL!) so I think we have that narrowed down pretty good!

2. She said that setting up reservations will be pretty easy, as most people book the flight and hotel plan directly through their website online. She said she will have pricing information for me after the 1st of the year (I should get in touch with her ASAP) with more information. She did say though, that they keep a tally of everyone who books with the wedding there. I have a feeling people will get a promo code to enter upon booking through their site and discounts will apply. I'm imagining maybe that the total might not be applied to a credit card when you book right away- as it all (the discounts on rooms, the sunset cocktail cruise) depends on the number of people who book and for how long?! I will get more info when I talk to her about those specifics.

3. They can do a cupcake tower with a mini cake on top for JP and I to cut, which I was SUPER pumped about, since I didn't want a cake. I'm not sure about the cake flavor---but either chocolate or vanilla I'm assuming. I plan to keep it simple LOL.

4. I seriously think I want gray (or taupe...basically the same thing in my mind) and peach as my wedding colors. I've been thinking of this for about 2 months now, and I really like it. The peach I am visioning is the J.Crew light(er) peach color they always seem to have with the spring collection, so I plan to really keep an eye on their spring collection. They are usually pricey, so I was thinking we could maybe order them once they go on clerance after the spring season...maybe that's not a good idea though LOL. I just think I'm gonna have a hard time finding the peach color I have in my head at a bridal shop---but maybe I'll be surprised. Here is what I am thinking to give you an idea color wise of how it looks----any of those peach colors would work, so maybe it'll be easier than I thought it get a 'light-er' peach color, but I really like the peach on the farthest left...the UGLY girl LOL. We'd look a lot better than her. EK.
I like how the tables are here---not the other side HAHA. I would have something similar to this, with probably a candle deal in the middle with shells in the vase or on the table. But just gray napkins and the peach tablecloth. It's simple, yet classy and vintage-y. I love the vintage feel!
And one more, just to give you and idea of the colors.  I enjoy how the gray is a bit unexected and kind of a winter color and how the peach is the spring color.  I'm pretty set on this color scheme for the wedding, as I've stuck with this combo for about 2 months now!  YAY, go me!

1 comment:

  1. So glad you found a new job! It sounds like the benefits are great and I hope you really enjoy it there!

    ReplyDelete