Monday, July 11, 2011

Day 3: Your first time away from home

Humm...this might be a tough one for me.  I can't really remember yesterday, so recalling my first time away from home might be difficult.  However, I think I am going to go with the first time out of my parents house.  The first REAL time.

I went to BG- stayed on campus my Freshman year with Stacy Shue.  Everyone swore we would never make it out alive, and that if we did, we would never be friends beyond that.  We'll years later- 8 as a matter of fact- we are still friends and I would say we are closer now than when we moved in together!  Although I didn't technically live at home, I did.  I went home almost every weekend...and usually during the week too.  IDIOT.

My Junior and Senior years of college I lived in an apartment with 3 friends- 1 of whom I met living in the dorm the year mentioned above.  Again, I hardly would say I was away from home because I would say I maybe stayed there 2 handfuls of weekend during the entire 2 years I paid rent.  Again, IDIOT.

Now, for the real deal.  My first true, time away from home for any extended period of time was when I moved in with Justin in...ohhh, I don't know 2009?!  Yes, that is correct.  I remember moving out this time like it was yesterday.  I remember moving after my brother moved in with  Amanda (all in the same week, but still after) and while my parents were on vacation for a week or two.  I didn't know how to go about telling them I was moving in with my boyfriend at the time, as I had a feeling my dad would flip out.  SO, I took the east way out and moved out while they were gone and called them to tell them I wouldn't be staying there when they got home.  As mentioned, my dad was not happy, but it went over much smoother that imagined.

I also specifically remember calling my BFF Jessica Bowles (whom is friends with Justin as well) telling her that I was going to give our relationship the true test and see what happened.  I told her that I was not thinking it would work, and that I would be back home eventually, probably sooner rather than later.  I mentioned that if I couldn't handle it, I would just go home and stay there when and if I wanted to.  I also said that I was only planning on taking the "necessities" because if it didn't work I didn't want to have to move all the other crap back OUT. 

Well, SURPRISE!!!  I actually moved out, completely and successfully managed to stay at "home" which is Justin's.  It was a shocker to most, but I think mainly to myself.  Considering, I wasn't thinking it would work before I even moved in HA!  I have not stayed a single night at my parents house (other than when I literally needed to or wanted to for convenience) and now 100% consider our house home!

And, going on 3 years later, I am still taking stuff from my parents house to "our" house.  I think it's safe to say, I'm not going anywhere anytime soon! :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment