Thursday, February 5, 2009

Roscoe Update:

Alrighty, so I took my lil' buddy bear to the vet last night. The vet's office that I go to has several vets...and when I called to make the appointment, they asked if I wanted the same vet to look at him or if it didn't matter. I told them it didn't matter-thinking it's really not that big of a deal- and that I just wanted to get him into the office ASAP.

When I got home from work yesterday around 5:45 he seemed to be in better spirits. The whole time I was home- from 5:45 'til we got to the vet's office at like, 6:35 he didn't have a coughing attack once! Which is a HUGE improvement since he'd been coughing like, 3 times every hour or something. His nose was still really runny, but he seemed to be better. PLUS- he only had ONE accident in his cage the whole day while everyone was working. (BTW: It was the first day I had to actually put him in a cage during the day because the other days my mom has been home. I almost cried...I do not know how moms let someone else take their kids HAHAHA!!!)

So, we got to the vet and a new vet took a look at him. She said that it looked and sounded like he could be improving and that if I thought there was forward progress, there wasn't really anything to worry about. He had still been eating, playing, and no temperature, which were all good signs. She said that his throat looked a little better than previously, which was good. She said they didn't really NEED to do a chest x-ray, unless I wanted. I said no, that if he's still having problems when his medicine is finished, I'll take those steps at that time...and she agreed. She told me to get pediatrician saline drops to put into his nose to break the "stuff" up, and she also told me to put him into a steam room (like the bathroom during a bath/shower) 2-3 times a day if I could- to also help break everything up! And then the positive thing she said was that although she couldn't 100% tell me he didn't have distemper, she could say that since neither time he had a temperature, and since he continues to eat alright, AND because I have not seen backwards progress, he probably doesn't have it. She said that if he did have distemper, I would have seen a change for the worse by now. I'm glad that I had a different vet look at him because I think I really liked the lady I saw this time better than the 1st time. The first lady had me FREAKED out and this lady actually gave me some other over the counter suggestions on how to possibly make him improve quicker and didn't make me feel as nervous he was going to die! She was just a TON nicer...more personable.

AND OF COURSE HE DIDN'T COUGH ONE TIME, NOT ONCE!, THE ENTIRE TIME WE WERE AT THE VET. AS SOON AS WE WALKED OUT TO DOOR- COUGHING LIKE A MAD MAN!

So, I stopped at Meijer and picked up the nose drops. (He HATES them.) And, I think I am also going to stop and get the Vicks vapor soak things that you put into the bath...I think they might help even more. They supposed to make you breathe better. We'll see. I just feel so sad for him. I mean- it's not like his spirits are down. He's a puppy and loves to play and sleep...I just know the coughing is pissing him off- when he starts coughing, he always, always, always runs to hide around something. Like, he'll go around to the backside of the couch where nobody can see him and hack...and then come back around. Like he doesn't want anyone to see. It's sad and funny. On top of that, I know the runny nose is making him angry because I'm wiping it away all the time!

So, he's doing better. YAY! :o)

He slept through the night a little bit better last night too. We went to bed around 12:30, and he started moving around at about 6:45 this morning. It's improvement since I had been taking him out between 3-4 every night. So, that's a small step in the right direction. And then, of course when I brought him back in, he was totally awake and ready to rumble. I wanted to die. It was my late day at work, so I could sleep in, and he's wideeee awake at 7:00 am. Seriously, it must be a joke. I put him back in the cage and instead of crying like usual, he started BARKING lol. So, I took him and and put him on my bed...and he played, finally fell asleep for a little bit and I laid there and dosed on and off, and then put him back in the cage at like 8:30 until about 10:10. And, again today- I had to put him in the cage all day. And again today- I was SO sad LOL. I'm pathetic. I just feel so bad for him. I wouldn't want to be caged up...I know he hates it. But, my dad said that he only peed in the cage today, so yay!! Speaking of him and his potty duties- he seems to be doing really well in that department. He only makes mistakes like, once a day now, if that. And he always goes outside when we take him out. He doesn't alert us when he needs to go, but he rarely goes inside. He's really been a blessing that way!

That's the dog update for all those wanting the details!!!

Other than that- I'm one step closer to doing my job actually at work. I met with my boss today to go over some of the things...and I'm meeting with her again on Saturday to go over some more things. As soon as I get the okay from her, and I get my certificate, I'll be good to go. She's hoping for next week or the following week. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. And, then our numbers for this start will be prorated, so she's thinking that we'll be responsible for 1-2 students. I'm kind of excited for the challenge. I don't really know what to expect! So, that's going well.

And, I don't really have much else to update. These days my life revolves around Roscoe LOL. I work, come home, play with him, and go to bed. I feel guilty doing anything else HAHA. I think he knows that I'm his 'mom' because even though he'll be home with 'grandma' all day- he gets so excited and playful when I come home! He's so cute.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! Glad he's doing better!

    Honey had something (I forget what it was) when we first got her that made her have terrible diarrhea...it was SO scary, and I remember jumping for joy when she had her first 'normal' poo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good thing hes getting better so far! Riley used to sleep in his cage until I let him out later on in the morning since I love sleeping haha. Nowww he wakes me up at like 8am everyday when I'm home trying to sleep. I used to be able to yell his name and he'd stop but now if I say anything, he barks and doesnt stop. grrr haha.

    ReplyDelete